HistoryIn August 2011, students entered the STEM Academy at Booker T. Washington for the first time. In this 21st Century global economy, an education with a STEM focus is a vital step towards providing students with the necessary technical literacy to enable them to access exciting careers of the future. Booker T. Washington STEM Academy will provide a supportive environment at an early stage for the students who attend the school and will build cumulative competencies in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Our MissionWe empower students to think critically, reflectively, and apply their knowledge and skills to a greater context. Students experience unique opportunities for STEM education with rigorous and relevant hands-on investigations through inquiry-based instruction, integrated curriculum, and collaboration.
We are pleased to have a supportive and highly active PTA. The work of the PTA has been to support our teachers and students in providing the best learning environment possible. The PTA membership has been responsible for many contributions, including Family Nights, monetary contributions to teachers for learning activities, and a STEM Open House.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2015 Magnet School of Excellence
- 2014 Illinois Social Worker of the Year: Heidi Grove
- 2013 James D. MacConnell Award for the Councel of Educational Facility Planners International
- 2013 ISBE Those Who Excel Awards: Alyssa Mayer, Unit 4 Magnet Team
- 2013 ISTA New Science Teacher fo the Year: Elizabeth Dabrowski
- 2012-13 Presentations at National Conferences: Illinois Science Teachers' Association, National Science Teachers of America STEM Expo, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and Magnet Schools of America
- 2015 ISTA New Science Teacher of the Year: Kevin Frederick